New to the MPI Food Safety website?
This website aims to help food businesses navigate regulatory and market access requirements, and to help them ensure that food produced, exported and imported by New Zealand is safe for consumers.
Finding information on this website
There are 3 ways to search this website.
Use the search box at the top of the page
for all other pages on this website, except password-protected documents (OMARs, FYIs, etc).
Search the Industry eLibrary
for forms, templates, manuals, guidance, and other NZFSA documents you need to run your food business and comply with requirements. Media releases are also here.
Look in the appropriate food section
to find password-protected documents, and other documents that you don't find in the first 2 ways. For example, look under the Dairy food sector for Dairy FYIs.
Where to start
Under the ‘Industry requirements’ tab, you’ll find:
- Food sectors - specific requirements go here, under the relevant food sector.
- Exporting - look here for general exporting requirements, or ones that go across more than one food sector.
- Importing - look here for general importing requirements, or ones that go across more than one food sector.
- Ag compounds & vet medicines - if you want to import, manufacture, or sell substances listed in the ACVM Act.
- General requirements & programmes - look here for requirements and programmes that apply across food sectors. This includes an 'Animal products - General' section for requirements that apply across animal product sectors.
Under the Industry eLibrary tab, you can search for all the forms, templates, manuals, guidance and other documents that you need to run your food business and comply with regulatory requirements.
The website also includes information on legislation and food standards for both domestic and exported food, and on the science-based work undertaken by MPI New Zealand Food Safety Authority to address food safety issues.