What's new – Petfood & inedibles
This page lists important updates relevant to the Petfood & inedibles section of the MPI Food Safety website. Items are displayed in date order, with the most recent listed first.
2 February 2016
- New Consultation: Proposed Petfood Processing Operational Code Chapters 1 and 2
MPI is seeking feedback on the revised Petfood Processing Operational Code Chapter 1 Overview and the new Chapter 2 Good Operating Practice by 11 March 2016. The documents for review and a submissions template are now available on the MPI website.
7 December 2015
- New: Animal products - Recognised verification agencies
Added new Agency.
8 July 2015
- Update: Update to Recall Guidance Material
From 1 July 2015, all food businesses wanting to report a food recall or a food safety problem about a food they have manufactured or imported, should contact a MPI Food Act Officer by phoning 0800 00 83 33. This phone number replaces contact details for District Health Board Public Health Unit Food Act Officers (for businesses outside of the Auckland and Canterbury regions). If required, please update your food recall documentation and MPI contact information accordingly.
The Recall Guidance Material has been updated to include this change.
Please note: This information is intended for food businesses only. Members of the public wanting to report a food safety related concern or complaint should contact the MPI Food Safety Helpline by phoning 0800 00 83 33 or emailing email@example.com
13 April 2015
- New Consultation: Animal Products (Specifications for Products Intended for Human Consumption) Notice 2013
MPI is seeking feedback on the proposed amendments to this Notice which applies to risk management programme operators and others involved in processing animal products for human consumption under the Animal Products Act 1999.
22 January 2015
- New: Updated Information for Industry about recalls.
Recall guidance material & recall template
The recall guidance material and recall plan template have been reviewed and updated: http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary/industry/recall-guidance-material-template/
•The changes to response powers under the Food Act 2014 – for further information on this see: http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/policy-law/food-act-2014/food-recalls-under-new-act.htm
•Appendix 4 Recall Criteria Guide now includes additional information on Listeria spp.
•Appendix 6 Sample Consumer Level Recall Notice
The Recall Hazard/Risk Analysis Form
The Recall Hazard/Risk Analysis Form has been updated and replaces the form previously described as Form 15.1 Recall hazard/risk analysis worksheet:
Food Recall Notice Templates
Draft newspaper advertisements templates now include a red cross hatched border:
5 December 2014
- New: Further Pet Food Processors List
Company removed as they have an RMP
22 October 2014
- New: Animal Feeds Roadmap
The Animal Feeds Roadmap has been updated as a result of the new AC Specs Notice.
17 October 2014
- Update: Further (pet food) processors documented tracking system
This revised document provides guidance on how to meet the requirements for further petfood operators as a result of the new Animal Consumption Specifications Notice issued 9 Oct 2014.
10 October 2014
- New: Animal Products (Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption) Notices
The new Animal Products Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption Notice has been issued commencing 9 October 2014.
9 October 2014
- Update: Guidance Document Code of Practice for Petfood Processing Part 2.2 Harvesting and Processing of Wild Rabbits, Hares, Wallabies, Possums, Goats and Deer
The Code of Practice for Petfood Processing Part 2.2 Harvesting and Processing of Wild Rabbits, Hares, Wallabies, Possums, Goats and Deer has been updated to reflect the changes in the new Animal Consumption Specifications Notice.
22 September 2014
- Update: Further Petfood Processors list
The Further Petfood Processors list has been updated to include Watershed Enterprises 2014 Ltd.
28 July 2014
- New: Further Petfood Processors list
The Further Petfood Processors list has been updated to include Canine Catering Ltd.
1 July 2014
- Update: Further (Pet Food) Processors list
Updated Further (Pet Food) Processors list.
23 May 2014
- Update: New Animal Products E-cert System: Outage notice - 1 June 2014
The new AP E-cert system will GO LIVE on Monday 2 June 2014 (Queens Birthday Monday). There will be a complete outage of AP E-cert for 23 hours from 12pm Sunday 1 June until 11 am Monday 2 June.
7 May 2014
- New Consultation: Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption 2014
The specifications for animal consumption are proposed to be amended. You are invited to comment on the proposals by Friday the 20th of June 2014.