What's new – Petfood & inedibles
This page lists important updates relevant to the Petfood & inedibles section of the MPI Food Safety website. Items are displayed in date order, with the most recent listed first.
28 July 2014
- New: Further Petfood Processors list
The Further Petfood Processors list has been updated to include Canine Catering Ltd.
1 July 2014
- Update: Further (Pet Food) Processors list
Updated Further (Pet Food) Processors list.
23 May 2014
- Update: New Animal Products E-cert System: Outage notice - 1 June 2014
The new AP E-cert system will GO LIVE on Monday 2 June 2014 (Queens Birthday Monday). There will be a complete outage of AP E-cert for 23 hours from 12pm Sunday 1 June until 11 am Monday 2 June.
7 May 2014
- New Consultation: Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption 2014
The specifications for animal consumption are proposed to be amended. You are invited to comment on the proposals by Friday the 20th of June 2014.
29 October 2013
- New: Animal Products (Emergency Control Scheme â Buparvaquone) Order 2013
The order is for the management of an animal treated with buparvaquone and animal material and animal product derived from this animal.
5 July 2013
- New Consultation: Changes to MPI's Guidance documents
Guidance documents are sometimes issued by the MPI Standards Branch to help stakeholders comply with or to understand requirements issued by MPI.
4 June 2013
- New: Requirements for the on-farm killing of farmed mammals to be supplied for petfood
The Requirements for the on-farm killing of farmed mammals to be supplied for petfood has been revised with particular help through the Pet Food Manufacturers Association and other stakeholders. If you have any comments or queries on this new version please provide them to
8 May 2013
- New Consultation: Requirements and guidance templates project
If you are involved in drafting, using or verifying requirements related to food safety, animal or plant imports or exports or agricultural compounds and veterinary medicines, then you can expect to see some changes in the way requirements and related guidance are presented.
1 May 2013
- Update: AP41 - Export Approved Premises Listing
Semen centres, embryo teams, and poultry hatcheries should now use the AP41 application form to apply for listing as an Export Approved Premises.
16 April 2013
- New Consultation: Control of Hydatids: Proposed Amendments to the Hydatids Controlled Area Notice and the Animal Consumption Specifications
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) declared New Zealand as being provisionally free from the dog tapeworm Echinococcus granulosus in 2002. Although hydatids (the larval form of E. granulosus, which is found in intermediate hosts such as livestock and even humans) is treated as an exotic disease now, the Hydatids Controlled Area Notice remains in place to limit the spread of the parasite should it be re-introduced into the country through importation of animals involved in its lifecycle.
6 March 2013
- New: Animal Products (Official Assurances Specifications) Notice 2013
This notice has been updated due to the name change to MPI and a change in the unique identification of signatory seals used by MPI official assurance certifiers.
29 November 2012
- New: Website redevelopment
We at the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) are planning to create a new and improved web presence that better serves our audiences.
As you'll appreciate the success of the web redevelopment depends on getting feedback from people like you who are outside of the organisation. As someone who has subscribed to a mailing list or to receive news feeds from one of our websites, weâd like to give you the opportunity to take part in a short survey about our websites. The main things we want to find out are what you come to our websites for, and how we can improve the experience for you.
To have your say is quick and easy. Just fill out this short MPI web channel survey.
Team Leader, Web Services