Overview – Poultry & eggs
This page is a quick guide to the legal requirements for poultry, eggs and their products, and to other information in this section of the website. If you're new, this is a good place to start.
Requirements for Poultry & eggs
Poultry and eggs requirements are not the same. However, in general:
- Poultry farmers and egg producers must comply with the Animal Products Act 1999.
- Primary processors must comply with the Animal Products Act 1999 and the Food Act 1981.
- Secondary processors must have a registered Food Control Plan (FCP) under the Food Act, except where they are exporting with an official assurance. In this case, they must have a registered Risk Management Programme (RMP).
- Petfood operators – see the 'Petfood & inedibles' section of this website
In addition, all finished products intended for human consumption must comply with Parts 1 and 2.2.1 of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
You may also have to comply with non-food legislation. (See the 'Additional legislation' page in the menu to the left.)
What you will find here
This Poultry & eggs section of the website is split into sub-sections. Use the menu on the left to find your way around.
For detailed information on the specific requirements you need to comply with, refer to the sub-section that applies to you: Poultry or Eggs.
The remaining sub-sections provide more generic information that applies to both poultry and eggs:
Fees & charges – familiarise yourself with any service-related costs you may be required to pay to MPI.
Registers & lists – look up people and information you'll need to run a foodsafe poultry or eggs business.
Documents – find all documents relating to Poultry & eggs, including legislation.
What's new – check here regularly for important updates relevant to Poultry & eggs.
This section contains requirements specific to Poultry & eggs. You should also refer to the 'General requirements and programmes' section of this website for other requirements that may apply to you.
Keeping up to date
It's important to keep up to date with any new or revised Poultry & eggs information, including requirements, consultations, strategies, and upcoming changes and meetings.
There are different ways to keep up to date - choose the one that works best for you.
- What's new – Click 'What's new' in the left-hand menu to read the most recent updates to the Poultry & eggs section.
- Get emails – Click the 'Get emails' link at the bottom of any page to sign up for email notifications of updates to the website.
- Subscribe to feeds – Click the 'Subscribe to feeds' link at the bottom of any page to add to your list of news feeds, or find out what a news feed is.
MPI InfoEmail us