Conducting a food recall
If you need to conduct a food recall, follow this quick checklist:
- First, seek advice from your local Food Act Officer.
Food Act Officers
- Follow your recall plan.
If you don't have a recall plan, read and follow the instructions on this page. For background on recalls, read the 'About food recalls' page, in the menu to the left.
- Complete Form 15.1 and send it to your Food Act Officer.
Form 15.1: Recall hazard/risk analysis worksheet
- Draft a newspaper advertisement. Use the appropriate template - General, or Allergen.
Food recall notice template – General products (43 KB RTF)
Food recall notice template – Allergen warning (47 KB RTF)
Read more in the 'Recall advertisement templates' page, in the menu to the left.
- Send the newspaper advertisement to your Food Act Officer for approval, before publishing.
- You might also need to do one or more of the following:
– Point-of-sale notice
Food recall notice template - Point of sale (7 KB RTF)
– Press release
Example press release
– Radio advertisement
– Website notice.
- If you don't have a recall plan, develop one.
See the 'Developing your recall plan' page, in the menu to the left.
All advertisements must be approved by your Food Act Officer, before they are published.