This page is a quick guide to the industry requirements for food recalls, and to other information in this section of the website. If you're new, this is a good place to start.
Requirements for recalls & warnings
If you retail or wholesale food for human consumption in New Zealand, you should have a food recall plan.
Read more about food recalls in the Acts below:
- Food Act 2014 - Section 284, Recall of food or food-related accessory
- The Animal Products Act 1999 - Section 85, Recall of animal material and animal product
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997 - Section 35G, Recall of Agricultural compound
- The Wine Act 2003 - Section 14, Contents of and requirements for wine standards management plans.
New Zealand Legislation website (External website)
What you will find here
This Recalls & warnings section covers food recalls for food safety reasons only (not quality). It includes procedures and templates to help you develop and follow a recall plan for your business.
The section is split into sub-sections. Use the menu on the left to find your way around.
- About recalls
- Conducting a food recall
- Developing your recall plan.
- Documents – find all documents relating to Recalls & warnings.
- What's new – check here regularly for important updates relevant to Recalls & warnings.
Keeping up to date
It's important to keep up to date with any new or revised Recalls & warnings information, including requirements and upcoming changes.
- What's new – Click on 'What's new' in the left-hand menu to read the most recent updates to the Recalls & warnings section.
- Get emails – Sign up to receive the latest MPI news by email. Click on the 'Get emails' link at the bottom of any page to sign up for email notifications.
- Subscribe to feeds – Sign up to receive news feeds. Click on the 'Subscribe to feeds' link at the bottom of any page to add to your list of news feeds.
Food Act Officers
0800 00 83 33