This page is a quick guide to the industry requirements for food recalls, and to other information in this section of the website. If you're new, this is a good place to start.
Requirements for recalls & warnings
If you retail or wholesale food for human consumption in New Zealand, you should have a food recall plan.
Read more about food recalls in the Acts below:
- Food Act 1981 - Section 40, Recall of food
- The Animal Products Act 1999 - Section 85, Recall of animal material and animal product
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997 - Section 35G, Recall of Agricultural compound
- The Wine Act 2003 - Section 14, Contents of and requirements for wine standards management plans.
New Zealand Legislation website (External website)
What you will find here
This Recalls & warnings section covers food recalls for food safety reasons only (not quality). It includes procedures and templates to help you develop and follow a recall plan for your business.
The section is split into sub-sections. Use the menu on the left to find your way around.
- About recalls
- Conducting a food recall
- Developing your recall plan.
- Documents – find all documents relating to Recalls & warnings.
- What's new – check here regularly for important updates relevant to Recalls & warnings.
Keeping up to date
It's important to keep up to date with any new or revised Recalls & warnings information, including requirements and upcoming changes.
- What's new – Click on 'What's new' in the left-hand menu to read the most recent updates to the Recalls & warnings section.
- Get emails – Sign up to receive the latest MPI news by email. Click on the 'Get emails' link at the bottom of any page to sign up for email notifications.
- Subscribe to feeds – Sign up to receive news feeds. Click on the 'Subscribe to feeds' link at the bottom of any page to add to your list of news feeds.