Market Access Information and Guidance
Specific information on exporting and MPIâ€™s role in market access can be found on the MPI website under â€˜Exporting Overviewâ€™. Generally speaking all food products exported overseas must meet New Zealand standards and comply with market or importing country requirements where they are known.
Meeting New Zealand Standards
All food products must meet New Zealand standards to ensure product produced in New Zealand is safe and suitable for consumers. This includes provisions under the Food Act 2014 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code and other key legislation where relevant, such as the Animal Products Act 1999 for foods containing animal material.
Meeting market requirements
Food exported overseas should also comply with any additional importing country requirements where they are known.
Understanding what importing country requirements need to be met often involves liaising with an overseas agent or importer to obtain advice in meeting market requirements. This may include obtaining an import permit, or registering as an exporter in the destination country or providing additional documentation where required.
MPI can assist in providing general guidance on market requirements where it is known for certain products. This includes For Your Information (FYI) documents intended to provide general market guidance on exporting issues. The following FYI documents are publically accessible.
Exporting to USA
- US Food Safety Modernisation Act (FSMA) Compliance Information for New Zealand Suppliers and United States Importers
- US Government Seafood Import Monitoring Programme
Additional market information
Exporting to China
China has a number of national standards (known as Guo Biao or GB standards) such as for health foods, food additives, packaging and labelling etc, which all foods exported into China will need to meet.
MPI has acquired translated versions of some of Chinaâ€™s GB standards, which are listed below. These are only intended as guides, and exporters should liaise with their importers for details. MPI does not take responsibility for inaccuracies in these translations and note that some of the standards may have been updated or replaced.
Translated China GB Standards
- China GB Standard A.1: Laws and Regulations
- China GB Standard A.2: Multiple Food Categories
- China GB Standard A.3: Dairy
- China GB Standard A.4: Fruit and Vegetable
- China GB Standard A.5: Seafood
- China GB Standard A.6: Meat
- China GB Standard A.7: Wine and Beverage
- China GB Standard A.8: Processed Goods
- China GB Standard A.9: Natural and Health Foods
- China GB Standard A.10: Uses of Food Additives